Sunday, October 3, 2010

Suck-cess! (Today anyway!)

Yay for Daisy the cow! Twice today she stood quietly in the shed and let Pippi have a drink and I was able to pat Daisy too.  We're still not best friends though - at tea time I had to chase her a bit to get her into the shed but once she was in there she behaved herself.

Considering that on Thursday and Friday she wouldn't let the 'twins' go anywhere near her - was still pushing them and kicking at them or wouldn't even go into the shed (and for a lame cow, she can certainly move when she wants to in a different direction to where we want her to go!)

But Beefy got scours again, just when we thought he had come right (most likely from the inconsistent feeds).  So on Saturday I decided I'd better put him in a pen to keep an eye on him and he managed to get him to follow me into the into the house paddock but then he decided he didn't like that idea, so I had to half drag him towards the pen.  I figured it would be easier to get him over the fence than to try dragging him all the way through three gates as we no doubt looked quite ridiculous; so at the fence, which is 3 rails high, I had to wrap my (thankfully overall-clad) arms around each end of the calf and hoisted him over the rail.

However, his back hooves were still on my side of the fence but I had already lifted as far as I physically could, so had to then try to 'gracefully' get him to the ground on the other side - needless to say if Beefy could talk I am sure he would say there was nothing graceful about it! But hey, he was now in the pen (and I was stuffed!)

So with an uncooperative cow, the twins have been having bottle feeds - though its been very watery today for Beefy (will get medicine for him tomorrow at the vet), and Pippi was also showing signs of the runs today too - hopefully Daisy will keep being helpful...

But then, tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment